This phrase – ‘how to write a song’ – seems to mean different things to different people, so I’m discovering.
I thought I’d take a step backwards a little bit this week. I’ve spent the past few months charging forward to build up to the methodology behind making good money from your songwriting (because this topic is so exciting to me AND I really want to share it), but I seem to be leaving quite a few people behind based on a lot of emails I’ve been receiving.
There seems to be 3 types of readers of this blog.
1) Experienced songwriters who know how to write a song and are frustrated with not knowing how to monetize the craft.
2) Bands who are struggling to get playlisted on radio stations, who have a good understanding of how songwriting works, but seem to not be getting any honest feedback from the station about why their songs are not being playlisted.
3) Musicians who can play an instrument, but want to get more into songwriting so that they can make a lot more money each month, but are struggling to figure out how to get started.
Do you fit into any of these categories? If not, please mail (or leave a comment in the section below) so I can know who to cater this site to?
I’ve been all 3 of these people! The biggest change for me came after touring with Cassette around the world for 5 years, and having numerous hit singles, but still not making any real money out of it. I started to look carefully at my songwriting business model and, after years of experimentation and investigation, figured out a very straight-forward way to make good money from songwriting if you just know what you are doing. It’s how I’ve made a living for the past few years and how I plan to continue making a living forever more. And I’m talking about serious money.
I’ve decided to spend the next few months designing some products to help people who are struggling with these things.
So far I’m thinking of starting :
1) An online academy to teach experienced songwriters how to get your business affairs in order, and a simple strategy to starting to make good money from songwriting.
2) A masterclass membership-only site with a limited number of spaces, for artists to have their songs critically reviewed by some of the biggest name songwriters in the world, every month.
3) A Beginners Introduction to Profitable Songwriting for people who a) have never actually written a song and just really want to learn how to write a song in a simple and straight-forward and understandable way and b) musicians with day jobs who want to start learning this craft to possibly quit their job and get into a full-time career as a musician, but don’t know how to get started with songwriting.
Please could you guys give me feedback and comments. I would love to know if any of these services would be of any value to anyone! Or is there anything else you guys can think of that you think is really needed.
I don’t want to waste my time creating hours of video tutorials about how to write a song when they are of no use to anyone so your feedback will be invaluable.
Let me know by writing in the comment section below!!
Also, if you guys have any blogs or websites out there and feel that I’m giving out invaluable information, please feel free to link to my site